Molecular characterization and creation of molecular database for Indian grape germplasm
Name of PI with associates
Dr. Anuradha Upadhyay, Sr. Scientist (Biotechnology)
Mrs. Kavita Y. Mundankar, Scientist SS (Computer Applications)
- To identify microsatellite and AFLP markers for fingerprinting of grape cultivars.
- To characterize grape cultivars using molecular markers.
- To develop a database based on molecular characterization for Indian grape germplasm.
- To develop a user friendly information storage and retrieval system for the database on molecular characters of Indian grape germplasm.
- To develop a system for variety identification and testing genetic purity.
- Assist in better germplasm management.
1 June 2008 to 31 December 2011
The project aims to characterize grape cultivars using molecular markers (AFLP and SSR) and to create a searchable database of genetic identity profiles based on molecular markers for Indian grape germplasm. The molecular data so generated will be useful not only for varietal identification but also for the identification of closely linked markers fro different traits using association genetics approach. Application software for storage and retrieval of information from the database developed using Visual Basic in the previous project 'Information system on molecular data for Indian grape germplasm' will be converted into a dot net application to support the database created in SQLSERVER 8.0.
Total outlay: Rs. 46.40 lakhs